Thursday, July 30, 2009

An evening to remember.......

At some point in our life we are destined to go through a painful phase (mental, physical,spiritual, etc,etc) or some natural calamity or man- made disasters. The intensity of the pain may vary from person to person. It may be self-inflicted or imposed on you by another fellow human (both fall under man made category) or in the form of god's or nature's blessing (natural category). Well, without going into much details about the categories of pain and also sparing you from some painful reading, let me come to the point.

Today, Thursday the 30th of July at 6:30 p.m, I did the unforgivable mistake of accepting a man-made (the man, none other then my DAD) pain, thus making it a self-inflicted pain. Please spare your imagination from running wild for I am penning down the cause and the resultant consequences of accepting the man-made turned self-inflicted pain. I was enjoying the very recent number "aaja aaja dil nichoda". The evening was just beautiful. Everything was going as smooth as silk. Smooth as in I was bored as usual. Mon (my bro) was punching me(for no specific reason) as usual. The ants were collecting tit-bits as usual. My dad, who as usual should have been reading some book ,was not in a mood to do the "as usual thing". So here comes the time when I, the obedient daughter, accept his idea to pay a visit to his colleague. Hence accepting the man-made turned self-inflicted pain.

We reach the XYZs. After exchanging the usual hi-hellos we settled down for the actual conversation. Mr. XYZ had gone to the market, so Mrs.XYZ had the responsibility to entertain us single-handed. Both, my Dad and XYZs had recently been transferred to Jorhat from Guwahati. So naturally the first round of conversation revolved around the difference between both the places. In between this immensely interesting conversation, Mrs. XYZ wanted to know all about Pune(since i was pursuing my so called higher education in Pune). I, being a well-behaved child, provided her with all the necessary details, just in case she plans to visit Pune during her kids school-breaks she wouldn't have to buy "The Pune Guide".

The second round of conversation included "The scarcity of water supply in the town" but "the excess availability of the same inside the Oil colony". During these sessions of utmost important conversations, I had nothing to do. So I being a good listener paid attention to the elders discussion and at the same time stared hard at the centrepiece on the table, hoping it will rise up in the air like in the movie "Mathilda". But alas!! nothing happened except that i had strained my eyes.

Like all happily married couples, the XYZs were bestowed with two daughters( nine and seven years now) by the Almighty. And the elder one came up to me and asked: "Do you read FILM CITY?" God only knew what was this FILM CITY? I had heard about the FILM FARE magazine but not FILM CITY. Thankfully Mrs.XYZ came to my rescue and I learnt that XYZ junior 1 was asking if I had read FAMOUS FIVE. So my next few minutes went in literary discussion of the Enid Blyton book Famous Five with a nine year old kid.

Oh the evening gets better now. Here the phrase "mehmaan bhagawan hota hai" is worth mentioning for we are treated with utmost respect and offered an evening snack. "ALLO KI SABJI and PURI", a common and favourite naashta of every Assamese. As I put the first niwaala in my mouth, I could see the sheded (result of my hardcore workouts) fat cells of my body smiling devilishly at me. Trust me they were even showing me the finger while they made their way back into my body. I went through this also with a smile on my face like a VEER YODHA.
By the time Mrs.XYZ had finished her mehmaan nawaji, Mr.XYZ arrived and hence began the third round of conversation which mainly included office talk and the nuisance created by mosquitoes , ants, spiders and the various roaches.

With God's grace finally at 8:30 p.m the evening came to an end. With a heavy heart we bade each other goodbye. It was still drizzling outside. My house was just two blocks away. But kind-hearted XYZs didn't want us to catch cold and so provided us with a humongously huge umbrella which by the time my Dad managed to open, we already reached home...:)







P.S: It was not that bad. Atleast I got an article out of it..;)

3 comments:

  1. Drama queen!! :D

    The way you started off... i thought something terrible happened!

    I hope this is the most torture / pain you ever go through. :)

    Loved the Mathilda part.. I have done that so many times... and sometimes... the table even moved an inch or 2. Or atleast i like to believe so :D

    Assamese and "lusi-aalu-bhaaji" are inseparable. On my last trip, I had that force-fed 9 times during the day. Between breakfast (sira doi) and dinner(ruti and koni dom.. i guess they had run out of maida and aalu :P ).

    Good post. I liked the last one better.. but this is also good.

    Looking forward to your next post :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow its lyk u fought a war and survived!!!!! the start was interesting...the implication of pain and torture was nice thought u failed to dfeliver on tht :P

    ReplyDelete
  3. i like it. the casual approach is great, just remembr to restrain from too much of it. i mean i cud actually mk out a pattern of ur writing by the tym i reached d end of the article. so yeah, keep it casual, but upto a limit. :)

    ReplyDelete